There are different plots of special interest due to their characteristics which would allow increasing the area of priority vegetation formations. The seeding and plantation of natural species typical of priority salt flats in fragmented plots in different wetlands can be more effective for the dispersal of seeds and propagules to close areas than when this activity is implemented in one single wetland. A higher distribution of the restoration activities also increases the probability of permanence of some natural formations in case of a natural or human-induced adversities.
This purchase will be implemented according to the plot purchasing conditions imposed by the European Commission in the framework of the LIFE projects Call 2010.
Land purchase is directly related to the project objectives:
Conservation and restoration of Mediterranean salt steppes
- The proposed plots are located in Natura 2000 network, in the SCI and SPA La Mancha Wetlands.
- The land purchase contributes to preserving or reestablishing the integrity of the mentioned SCI.
- The purchase in certain cases is considered the most effective way to achieve the conservation goals and it will be completed with the rest of the actions described in the project.
- All the plots will be exclusively dedicated to the protection and restoration of natural ecosystems and a guarantee will be included in the purchase agreement.
- The Regional Government of Castile-La Mancha, public body partner of the project, will own the lands as it has the legal capacity for protecting the territory and will keep the ownership of the land after the end of the project.
- The Regional Government of Castile-La Mancha has both legal capacity and the necessary previous experience to purchase the land and protect it.
- The purchasing entity is public.
- The price is defined according to the market prices, the type of land and the region.
- None of the plots purchased in the project have recently changed from public to private property.
- The purchased lands will be dedicated to restoration activities described in the project, as their purchase is a key element for the conservation of the habitats included in the project.