Fundación Global Nature is a private, nationwide, non-profit educational organisation created in 1993. It was founded with the aim of conserving, protecting and managing the environment. Its projects involve the maintenance and reclaiming of habitats and endangered species, technological innovation, the recovery of traditional agricultural activities and land custodianship. As a non-profit educational foundation, a large proportion of its projects entail environmental education, through courses, seminars, conferences, youth exchanges, field work and the publishing of research work.
Fundación Global Nature undertakes activities all over Spain and in particular in the Autonomous Communities of the Canaries, Valencian Community, Extremadura, Castile and Leon, Castile-La Mancha, Andalusia and Madrid. It also has development projects in Mozambique, Sri Lanka, Paraguay, the Dominican Republic, Morocco and the Philippines.
Its activities include numerous Natura 2000 management projects, the recovery of traditional and the introduction of new sustainable agricultural systems, the promotion of extensive livestock farming and transhumance, the protection of native breeds and the conservation of ecosystems.
Other projects are devoted to the conservation and reclaiming of wetlands such as La Nava, Boada and Pedraza de Campos (Palencia), the salt lakes of Villacañas (Toledo), Laguna de Louro (A Coruña), the Talaván reservoir (Cáceres) and the Roñanzas peatlands (Asturias).
Most activities undertaken with farmers are conducted through Land Custody Agreements, and a total of 220 properties with an area of more than 16,000 hectares are currently being managed. FGN promotes agri-environmental pilot projects to improve habitats. It has two Environmental Education Centres in Palencia and Cáceres, which are its main sites for offering information and conducting training programmes.
Fundación Global Nature has extensive experience linked to European LIFE projects. So far, it has taken part in 23 projects of different kinds, all awarded by the European Commission, with co-funding worth €21,053,333. Fundación Global Nature has been beneficiary or coordinator in 12 of these projects and a partner in the remainder.
Projects undertaken by Fundación Global Nature in Castile-La Mancha:
- “Restoration of esparto grasslands and salt steppes in La Mancha Wetlands, Spain” (LIFE10 NAT/E/000563)
- “Conservation of priority Mediterranean forest species in Castile-La Mancha, Spain” (07/NAT/E/000742).
- “Habitats restoration in Alto Tajo, Sierra de Ayllón and Quejigares de Brihuega, Spain” (99/NAT/E/006402)
- “Restoration of three wetlands in Villacañas, Toledo, Spain” (99/NAT/E/006339)
- “Habitats restoration surrounding Tablas de Daimiel National Park, Spain” (LIFE99NAT/E/006323)
- “Integral management of Alto Tajo” Castile – La Mancha, Spain (98/NAT/E/005308)
- “Third phase of action programme for the conservation of the Iberian Imperial Eagle (Aquila adalberti)-Castile La Mancha, Spain” (95/NAT/E/000593)
- “Conservation of the Iberian lynx, Castile La Mancha, Spain” (95/NAT/E/004816)
- “Conservation of the Iberian lynx, Castile La Mancha, Spain” (94/NAT/E/004813)
- “Second phase of action programme for the conservation of the Iberian Imperial Eagle (Aquila adalberti) - Castile La Mancha, Spain” (94/NAT/E/004824)
- “First phase of action programme for the conservation of the Iberian Imperial Eagle (Aquila adalberti)-Castile-La Mancha, Spain” (92/NAT/E/014301)
- Fundación Global Nature is also involved in Life projects undertaken in other Autonomous Communities:
- “Combatting climate change through farming. AgriClimateChange” (09/ENV/ES/000441)
- “Local strategy on climate change: application and evaluation of municipal management measures in Madrid, Spain” (08/ ENV/E/101)
- “European Business and Biodiversity Campaign” (08/INF/D/02)
- "Castile Canal" (99 NAT/E/6339)"
- "Macrophytes" (ENV/E/182)
- “ Conservation of the aquatic warbler in the SPA Nava-Campos" (LIFE02 NAT/E/8616)
- "Conservation of Hieraaetus fasciatus in Almenara. Murcia" (02NAT/E/8602)
- "Eco-labels for Tourism” (00ENV/NL/000810)
- "Management of Steppe Ponds" (ENV/D/351)
- "Wetlands of Villacañas" (99 NAT/E/6339)"
- "Soil conservation" (LIFE 98/ENV/E/347)
- "Project 2001" (LIFE93 NAT/E/11500)